Stop Wasting Energy: 8 Ways to Improve your Energy Efficiency in 2021
– By #Action Mechanical
The new year is here and while everybody else is making resolutions to eat healthier or give up coffee, you should absolutely consider making the effort to reduce your energy consumption in the new year. With countless benefits for the environment and your pocketbook as time goes on, you can leave 2021 knowing you did right by your bank account and by Mother Nature!
While there are many obvious ways to better your energy efficiency by integrating things like renewable energy into your home, there are many simple everyday fixes that can make a meaningful impact in the long run. To help you gain better perspective on some easy ways to be more energy efficient in the new year, we’ve put together the following list!
- Air seal your home/install better insulation: Let’s face it, nobody likes the feeling of a cold draft in the winter or a hot draft in the summer. As more air leaks in and out of your home, your heating and cooling system becomes less efficient and will continually attempt to regulate the air in your home. What most of us don’t realize is that replacing poor insulation in common places like your doors, windows, mail slots, and base boards can make a drastic improvement in the efficiency of your heating and cooling system! Looking to take air sealing your home to the next level? Consider better insulating your attic and roof.
- Give your HVAC system an upgrade: According to the US Department of Energy, installing a new HVAC system can cut down your home cooling and heating costs by 20 to 40%. Over time, the cost of your new system will be far outpaced by the money you’ll save in the long room. Not sure if you can financially afford a new HVAC system at the moment, but know you need one? Action Mechanical offers Financing! Give us a call today to help you identify the best HVAC solution for your home.
- Replace dirty filters in your home: If it’s been months since you replaced your HVAC filter, chances are it’s clogged with dust and debris, impacting the efficiency of your HVAC system. Go to the local home improvement store and pick up a new filter – you’ll be amazed how much of a difference it will make. As a rule of thumb, consider replacing your filter every three months. Not sure what kind of filter to get? Give us a call at Action Mechanical!
- Seasonally adjust your thermostat: Chances are you’ve already heard the time-old tip to adjust your thermostat in the winter and summer, but how many of you have actually done it? Studies show that lowering your thermostat by a few degrees in the winter and increasing it in the summer can make a drastic impact on your energy efficiency. Afraid you’ll get too hot or cold in your home? You’ll eventually get used to it – otherwise ceiling fans and blankets are fantastic.
- Make use of your ceiling fans: Ceiling fans are outrageously underrated when it comes to cooling your home! Why waste so much energy to cool your home when you could use a fraction of that energy to cool your home with a ceiling fan? For perspective, running your ceiling fan for an hour costs roughly one cent, while air conditioners cost in excess of 25 cents an hour to run. Think of all the money you can save by implementing this tip alone. But when it gets too hot outside for your ceiling fan to keep up, you’ll absolutely love your HVAC system!
- Consider getting a tankless water heater: Rather than harboring a constantly warm pool of water like traditional water heaters, installing a tankless water heater can ensure you’re only getting hot water when you need it. Plus, who likes to run out of hot water in the middle of a shower? A tankless water heater will make your life a whole lot easier in the long run. Give the trained team at Action Mechanical a call to find the perfect tankless water heater for your home.
- Install more efficient toilets and showerheads: Did you know toilets account for 30 to 40% of the total water used in your home? If you’re still using older showerheads and toilets, chances are you’re wasting a great deal of water every time you take a shower or flush the toilet. To help conserve water and save money on your next water bill, consider having low-flow toilets and showerheads installed in your home. Not sure which showerheads or toilets are the best? Let the Action Mechanical team help you find the right products and install them for you! You’ll save thousands of gallons of water a year with these simple fixes.
- Consider switching from a furnace to a boiler: Boilers are incredibly energy efficient, even more so than furnaces, in heating your home. Improving air quality, efficiency, and requiring less maintenance, boilers are the way to go these days. Intrigued? Learn more on our blog article about making the switch from a furnace to a boiler!
Give Action Mechanical a call at 605-348-5212 to learn more about how we can help install heating and cooling solutions to help improve energy efficiency in your home!